Friday, May 25, 2018

2018 May H2H

Another fast month here and only a little sewing, but I was able to complete my quilts for the Hands2Help event...though just under the wire :-)
First I completed a little baby quilt for Little Lambs Foundation for Kids.  I think it is about 36" X 40" but it's already on its way and I can't verify the size.  My friend had purchased a box of fabric at a yard sale and this is where I found some fun flannels.  I added the white flannel and quilted it with loops and hearts meander.


My second quilt was actually started last year as I often cut 2" squares from leftover fabrics and sew them together as leader/ender pieces.  I like 16 patches so that is how they often end up.  I pulled from a pattern I saw on a Missouri Star Quilt Co video....though now that I'm looking at the picture it looks like I got a little more "creative" with some of my block turnings. ;-)  This measures 61" X 73" and has quilting with swirls and hooks ala Angela Walters.  The design also has some "creative" moments as I was really distracted by my longarm having trouble with the thread breaking every few inches for a good long while.  I changed the needle, adjusted top tension, bobbin tension, changed the thread, changed the bobbin, sanded all the spots along my thread path, checked my timing, quilt sandwich tension, bar height....everything I could think of or find on a trouble shooting list...Arghhh!
The stitches were perfect and then wham the thread would break. So I would fiddle with something and then start again...for 12 inches or so.  Changing the bobbin, oddly enough, and backing even more off the top tension seemed to make the most difference but it's still kind of a mystery to me. Anyway here it is and it is on its way to Emily to be a Chemo Cozy for some dear person dealing with cancer.  My heart goes along with it and prayers for their healing and comfort.

Thank you to Sarah for hosting this wonderful, yearly event.  Thank you also to Emily and the other organizations that have given us a way to give and make our passion for quilting useful.
I'm linking to Sarah's block Confessions of a Fabric Addict for the final reveal of all the quilts for this year's Hands2Help.

5 comments:

  1. Great post. I am dealing with some of these issues as well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilts, and Iv'e had my eye on that second quilt pattern myself. Thanks for joining in again this year, Loris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are wonderful, but that scrappy quilt on the bottom is just spectacular. Sorry about the thread breaks as that makes for such a long job, but it turned out so well and will go to such a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Loris! It's good to see you're still here, too! I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog, but I don't seem to be getting e-mail notifications. Something else to figure out. :-) Your quilts are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so fun to make something useful from scraps...lovely quilts! Thank you for stopping my blog too, and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love receiving comments. To avoid sharing the increasing number of spam comments from Anonymous though, I am trying this moderation choice to see if it helps.