Saturday, July 20, 2019

July ...but some June finishes

In June I made this fun little quilt for my friend's birthday.  It's called Star Spangled Picnic by Karen Walker at Laugh Yourself Into Stitches.  Hope to make one for myself too.


















And a wee bit late to the party...like 3 years!...I made this Paws Patrol quilt and pillowcase for my grand nephew, Kellen.  Fun piecing with a Moda Bake Shop free pattern. 

















Keeping me busy now is working on the 1000 half square triangles left needed for this Emerald City quilt that I started last month in the class with Bonnie. I'm nearing the finish of this step.  I feel I have really 'upped my game' with the use of her Essential Triangles ruler and with some pressing tips that I heard from Donna on Jordan Fabrics videos....mainly pressing with the grain of fabric to prevent distortion.  I use a Bloc Loc ruler to trim down usually but have found that I haven't needed to with these HST's and just clip the 'dog ear' off most of the time. It has kind of amazed me.















Another event in June was to take Luke for his Rattlesnake Avoidance refresher class.  Luke likes to run crazy over the ranch hills where we walk and stick his head in holes and piles of dead wood.  As far as I know, he has not encountered a rattlesnake but this is an added bit of protection.  In class he's rewarded for making a wide arc around the sight, sound or smell of a rattlesnake.  It doesn't work necessarily for all snakes but definitely for rattlers. Ma and Pa Kennels does the training and I appreciate their knowledge and gentle ways of teaching.





















I'm off to sew the HST's.  I hope you have a happy summer Saturday.
Linking to Confessions of a Fabric Addict. Head over to check out links of inspiration :-)

8 comments:

  1. Love your friend's birthday present quilt! Our guild had Karen Walker speak one year, she is so fun and friendly:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your picnic quilt--so cute! It sounds like a smart idea to have those classes to avoid rattlers--yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flag birds are so creatively cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finishes! Love the Picnic quilt. Looks like you have had lots of sewing time. Luke is not only handsome but now rattlesnake smart! I wonder if they have classes like that up here, we've been having lots of rattlesnake sightings on the neighborhood walking trails.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy--and I especially like that first, summery quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Star Spangled quilt and that Emerald City is going to be spectacular too. Aww....the Paw Patrol is going to be a real treasure for some little person.

    The rattlesnake avoidance classes are such a good idea. I worry about those buggers with my dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty Star Spangled Picnic quilt! Looks like the birds are flying, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great patriot birds!!! As for BH and her HST, they do take time, but they are great stash busters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love receiving comments. To avoid sharing the increasing number of spam comments from Anonymous though, I am trying this moderation choice to see if it helps.