Wednesday, February 24, 2010

almost a finish

Here is the Lone Star top completed..or at least I think it is. I'm going to audition the blue fabric for a border. The pattern calls for just a binding for the wall hanging and I may go with that idea. Probably a wide binding. With 7 seams coming together in the middle, I'm amazed it actually lays flat. The instructions were to have the seams pressed open but I'm not sure that was possible. I'm going to look at it a bit more and see if I can tidy it up.

But right now, I'm tired and I'm going to go watch a movie.
Hot chocolate, anyone?

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lone Star technique review

I chose to do this lone star quilt hanging mainly because on QNN a long time back there was a demo that showed the quilt using these cool cowboy fabrics that I had in my stash. The technique was using the Quiltsmart product which has the pattern laid out on fusible web. The directions are pretty clear and there is more available online.

I started with cutting rectangles from 4 fabrics. Place the first one in the designated section on the fusible pattern and iron it down. The second rectangle is placed sideways at the bottom of the first using the several marks for specific placement and then a diagonal line is used to sew it down. That second piece is then ironed down and the step is repeated keeping the order of the fabrics rotating.

At first, I struggled with getting the edges even when I folded it down over the line sewn on the diagonal. I was concerned this would end up making the seam allowance too narrow or somehow mess up where the seams would meet. When I sew, the piece is turned over with the interfacing on top to follow the lines. So I am sewing on a line that may or may not be accurately correlating with where it should be on the fabric. This however did not end up to be much of a problem so I'm just getting it as accurate as I can.
The technique & tool are good in that there are no bias edges to deal with. Since I am sewing a short line in the midst of this large piece of interfacing though it took awhile to get used to it. No speed piecing here! For the wall hanging that I am making, having the interfacing left in is not a problem. Were this going to be a quilt for use, I don't think I would like the feel of it.
I hope to get the remaining diamonds sewn tonight and then add the background pieces. I'm going to enjoy finally seeing this up on my wall when it's completed. The blue fabric has working ranch dogs :-)

Sunday, February 21, 2010

I'm a little bit crazy

and it shows up in my sewing room. I'm really still about 8 years old even though I've lived about 5 more decades since. I like to 'keep' little treasures and keep them out where I can look at them all the time. These treasures must include the cats and dogs in my life. So I have dog beds in just about every room and in my sewing room alone, I have at least 5 cat beds (for just 2 cats).

I have 2 Krinkle sacs that I'm trying to entice the cats to crawl in. No success yet but at least they aren't running from them anymore...I thought cats loved these things! I must just believe the advertising.

More to the point of a blog about quilting though...the picture on the left shows the left end top of my cutting table. I have plastic boxes with projects waiting to be done. Some of these have been waiting awhile. One box has leftover fabric from a quilt already completed....need to decide if it should go into general scraps or be used in yet another quilt by itself.
Another box had this Lone Star pattern which I have now pulled out to start. It is supposed to be an easy way to sew this but it looks a bit daunting. Fortunately, there is a note to check the website for a tutorial.

even better, Elinor has come to help :-)

Friday, February 19, 2010

Beach House finish finally

The extra wide binding was sewn on actually a couple of weeks ago with the help of Elinor crawling onto my lap to sit. She never does that so I took it as a hint that she must just really like this quilt. As she has continued to sit on it wherever it is..I have decided it must be hers :-) And though I don't have a very good picture, she does look lovely on it.

In the meantime, I sewed together some flannel scraps for a baby quilt and promptly came down with yet another cold. It seems to be a rough winter in the ER this year and my immune system is not yet up to par. I will surely 'get over it' and be immensely grateful that it isn't anything much serious.

To keep myself entertained, I have been perusing quilt books for inspiration. There is an overwhelming amount of it! I received Bonnie's Adventures with Leaders and Enders and am really enjoying all the tips she has for use of scraps. Another book, Scrap Basket Surprises is from Kim at Magnolia Bay Quilts. I started reading the pattern instructions more closely and was indeed surprised at the simplicity of the blocks. These patterns are quite approachable and soon to be future quilt projects.
Sew, I have a few baby quilts to sew when my head stops hurting I am back to having fun.