Saturday, October 5, 2019

working out the steps

So I've got a good start on my Straits of Mackinac.  I cut out most of the pieces in about 3 days. HA!  Lots of pieces! 
I cut out strips for the HST's (half square triangles) and layered a neutral and a blue one right sides together and then used Bonnie's Essential Triangle Tool to cut out 576 triangles that are all paired and ready to sew together.  And then I cut out about 144 of just blue ones for the square in a square blocks and the squares needed. From strips, I also cut out some triangles using the Tri Recs ruler for triangles in a square block. Lots of cutting!
As I'm cutting, I make stacks of 10 and then gather 10 stacks and put them in labeled baggies to keep track of how much I've cut!

Last week I worked on getting my square in a square blocks more accurate.
I only needed 36 but it still took a bit of time.
This week I'm sewing all those HST's. I'm about done with the sewing.  I've trimmed off the dog ears and pressed more than half so maybe today I'll get these done and start putting them together in those 4 patch settings.
I mentioned back in the post right after my class that a friend ...who I didn't get contact info from! :-(   shared some really cute crab fabric with me.  I searched the Web and found one fat quarter still available.  Yay! So I'm thrilled to have these in my triangles.  Absolutely, my favorite here and they remind of a quilter's kindness.

 I will work on the strings needed for the triangles in a square block after the 4 patch units  :-)  Happy Fall Stitching everyone!

Linking to Sarah's  Confessions of a Fabric Addict  and Em's Scrapbag

4 comments:

  1. There are always so many bits in Bonnie's quilts, but I love the way they turn out. Straits is going to be absolutely gorgeous. I love that crabby fabric! My sister is also working on Straits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blues and the crab fabric is adorable. I'd say you have a crazy amount of patience right now to be working on all those little bits. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hands are sore just thinking about all that cutting, but I've seen pictures of that quilt and all that work is going to be so worth it. Bonnie Hunter quilts are magnificent when completed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is so many parts and pieces. It has been a while since I cut the parts for a full Bonnie quilt. I had forgotten how much work it can be. But they are always amazing.
    That crab fabric is so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love receiving comments. To avoid sharing the increasing number of spam comments from Anonymous though, I am trying this moderation choice to see if it helps.