Friday, July 24, 2020

Finally getting pictures to post

Not sure what my trouble is but sometimes it takes me forever to take photos of my quilting to get ready for a blog post...especially those just in progress.  But I finally just laid some blocks on the floor and did it though I spared myself laying out all of them ;-)
I don't have that many UFO's but my PIG's (projects in grocery bags...or drawers etc) or just patterns with plans is on the larger size. My DH wanted to see this one done as it is going to hang in a room with many cat paintings and a Kliban the Cat tshirt quilt.  So I got some courage together and got started.  Selecting fabrics was my first challenge till I realized all the homespuns I'd collected and how much fun it would be to use them. 
The next challenge was in printing out the patterns for paper piecing...especially as our printer was dying. But it got done and with some trial and error I re-learned paper piecing which I hadn't done in a long time. Not cutting fabric too small for the intended sewing was one of the first lessons to be re-learned. But I hurdled the fabric selection and started sewing, accomplishing one block and tail in a few hours. I'm not a fast one but I had a good time and soon all 20 were sewn.
Here are 4 :-)
There is another side piece to add to the blocks and some sashing where the tails will be appliqued. I had thought that I had utilized every technique I knew (and with homespuns!)...paper piecing, curved piecing, applique and with embroidery that will be a finishing touch to the cat faces...but then I remembered hand piecing and probably more that I don't recall at the moment.  But anyway, this has been challenging and an enjoyable way to use my homespuns and make cats.
Marianne who continues to eat well and defy some health challenges, joined me as I sewed the last one together.
She keeps me comforted and awake too early. HA!

After the last block, I took a quilt break and made some more masks as well as some hair covering caps for nurses in Texas where the hospitals are overwhelmed with Covid-19 patients. My friend, Julie, is in the midst of it and is generously helping her co-workers to stay safer.  She is so inspiring, how could I not want to help too?!  She shared a good video for how to make them and I had a good time sewing them up.  I pulled from some florals and I think their unit might look a bit like a fabric garden. LOL but I hope they all feel some love from us quilters and are protected a bit more as they do such challenging work for us and our families. 
Here's my picture of some that I made.

But check out Julie's post for more about all the caps sent in.  She packaged them each with a note to the nurses receiving them and passed on our gratefulness to them. JulieKQuilts 
I'm linking here for more quilty inspiration at Confessions of a Fabric Addict with a thank you to Sarah for her inspiration to finally post something. HA! 
Thanks for visiting and to those who comment. I love receiving them :-)
I hope you all are safe, healthy and blessed 💓🙏

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love receiving comments. To avoid sharing the increasing number of spam comments from Anonymous though, I am trying this moderation choice to see if it helps.